Still Water: The Deep Life of the Pond by: John Lewis-Stempel
List Price: €17.33 (£14.99)
Our Price: €13.86 (£11.99)
You Save: €3.47 (20%)
Availability: Usually dispatched within 24 hours
Release date: 14th March, 2019
- The Glorious Life of the Oak
- The Wood: The Life & Times of Cockshutt Wood
- The Private Life of the Hare
- The Wild Life: A Year of Living on Wild Food
- The Wildlife Garden
- The Secret Life of the Owl
- Meadowland: the private life of an English field
- The Running Hare: The Secret Life of Farmland
- The Wood in Winter
- Where Poppies Blow: The British Soldier, Nature, the Great War
Still Water: The Deep Life of the Pond by John Lewis-Stempel (Hardback)
Nothing in the countryside is more humble or more valuable. It's the moorhen's reedy home, the frog's ancient breeding place, the kill zone of the beautiful dragonfly. More than a hundred rare and threatened fauna and flora depend on it.
Written in gorgeous prose, Still Water tells the seasonal story of the wild animals and plants that live in and around the pond, from the mayfly larvae in the mud to the patrolling bats in the night sky above. It reflects an era before the water was polluted with chemicals and the land built on for housing, a time when ponds shone everywhere like eyes in the land, sustaining life for all, from fish to carthorse.
Still Water is a loving biography of the pond, and an alarm call on behalf of this precious but overlooked habitat. Above all, John Lewis-Stempel takes us on a remarkable journey - deep, deep down into the nature of still water.
- Publisher: Transworld Publishers Ltd
- ISBN: 9780857524577
- Number of pages: 304