RHS Plant Finder 2001
Publisher: Avanquest Software
Platform: Windows 95, Windows 98
Release date: 18th May, 2000
- Britain's No.1 gardening manual on CD-ROM
- Search by plant - more than 70,000 plants and where to buy them
- Search by supplier - over 700 nurseries and garden centres listed
- Contains electronic version of RHS Plant Finder and 6 other horticultural databases
- Home & Garden Value Pack (inc 3D Landscape 2 Deluxe)
- Geoff Hamilton Gardening Double Pack: 3D Garden Designer & Plant Encyclopedia
As a printed guide, the Royal Horticultural Society Plant Finder has been a staple reference book for many years. Its job is to list nurseries and suppliers of plants from the everyday to the exotic, and any gardener with an interest slightly out of the ordinary has a copy on their shelves. The CD-ROM version of the Plant Finder adds a great deal of value to the printed one. Most importantly, the Plant Finder database is far easier to search. Its information on 70,000 plants is flicked through in an instant, to provide full contact details of suppliers.
Second, the Plant Finder comes with a whole host of extra features. Among them is the RHS "Good Plant Guide", a searchable database of popular garden plants to help with plant selection. There are also various Royal Horticultural Society lists--a list of garden societies with various specialisms, another of UK gardens managed by the likes of the National Trust, English Heritage and RHS, and the RHS Award of Garden Merit checklist--a selection of top-rated garden plants that can be used to help choose some for your own plot.
It might not have quite the same aura as a gardening book you can flick through, but the RHS Plant Finder 2000-2001 is a real treasure trove of information, and has plenty that keen amateur gardeners at all levels should find of value. --Sandra Vogel